- Jonas Eriksson
- August 14, 2015 | 3 min
How To Play GTA V in Ludicrous Mode (with your eyes!)
Written and explained by Alexey from our Game Development team!
- Watch the video.
- We show and tell.
What’s in the video:
In this video, I play with a gamepad and mostly control the camera and aim with my eyes. Yes, I aim with my eyes.
The right joystick is used for fine adjustments while aiming. However eye tracking doesn’t replace it, so you can game as usual in combination with eye tracking.
The violet circle is a ‘gaze layer’ showing where I was looking while playing, and is not visible to the player. Here are some of the things I am doing:
- Freelook in game for walking, driving, flying
- Aim with gaze + use the Right Joystick for finer adjustments.
- Incinerate at gaze
- Select weapons from menu with gaze
- Shoot weapons/missile at gaze
- Tase at gaze
All other functions are as per normal with a gamepad.
How my team did It..
We did this GTA V mod because it’s one of the many games we really enjoy, utilizing Eye Tracking technology that we play around with on a daily basis, — the Tobii EyeX.
Tools needed to play ‘ludicrous’ mode:
- SteelSeries Sentry Gaming Eye Tracker ($149 USD) OR Tobii EyeX ($139 USD)
- Quick installations with scripts and a mod we did
If you are into modding, we have uploaded it on gta5-mods. For more information on the installation and keys to get ludicrous go here: https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/gta-v-eye-tracking-mod
As you can say the game experience is smooth, fast and as responsive as per normal. We played the game with a 17" MSi GT72 on a core i7, with an Xbox controller and eye tracker.
This is a quick mod we did for fun and it turned out to get real excitement within our teams and also when we showed it to friends.
We know the excitement around VR at this point of time is infectious and we love its possibilities, while this humble Eye Tracker manages to actually bring the future into the present and not be reliant on mere possibilities or dreams. We chase reality every single day, even if it’s virtual =)
Extra Interactions we are thinking of:
- Characters in game react when you look at them
- Telekinesis, Grappling hook (Like in Just Cause)
- Show Information about objects and characters (health, weapons etc)
- Disclaimer: This mod is not in direct relation with Rockstar Games and we enabled the cheat menu in the game for immortality, access to all weapons & spawning vehicles — Alexey.